I was about the write a blog post summarizing the steps the build & capture a Windows 8.1 reference image using MDT 2013.
However, I stumbled upon a great post from Gerry Hampson doing just that (well..with Windows 7):
In this blog, Gerry summarizes the steps for Windows 7, and includes links to a detailed step by step from Mitch Tullock found here and a blog from Johan Arwidmark on the right way to build and capture (link)
So in summary, to paraphrase Gerry Hampson
- In the MDT Deployment Workbench, create a deployment share
- Populate the deployment share with the Windows 8.1 source media
- Create task sequence to deploy Windows 8.1 to the reference computer
- Add a task to pause the sequence between build and capture. This is where you can install applications, make registry changes etc.
- Don’t forget to Update the deployment share
- Import the Lite Touch Windows PE x64 image from the boot folder in the deployment share into “boot images” in WDS
- PXE boot the reference computer
- Select the task sequence you just created and follow the instructions to deploy and capture the Windows 8.1 image
The above assumes you have MDT & WDS already installed.
Finally, John Baker has a very good video here demonstrating these steps